Saturday 19 April 2014

Review: Don't Even Think About It

Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It #1) by Sarah Mlynowski
 
 
Description:

 We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.

So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening


My Thoughts:
 
 
I have been attempting this review for the last few days and have procrastinated it 'til now. I really don't know what to say about this. The people I buddy read this with didn't enjoy it that much, they found it a little too stupid and pathetic for their liking. I would have to agree with them, this was a little stupid in some parts but I actually enjoyed it.

2014 hasn't been a great year for me - bookwise, at least. I haven't had much luck and to get me out of the funk I wanted something funny and light-hearted that I could speed through in a night; which is exactly what I got from Don't Even Think About It. Sure, the characters could be immature, yes the plotline was uneventful and yes, they acted like the teens they were and used their ESP powers to figure out who was crushing on who and other petty childish things. Could they have they used their powers for the better? Yes, they probably could have but they didn't.

I enjoyed the mix of characters and their range of personalities without it seeming too Glee-cast-like. I loved Tess, I loved Cooper and I really loved Olivia. BJ was funny, Pi was a bitchy know-it-all that provided a bit of drama and Mackenzie was so much like my cousin it scared me. I loved hearing the consequences of having ESP, such as hearing your parents' thoughts as they are having sex in the room next to you or that your school nurse was a secret stripper by night and she needed to pick a sexy French maid outfit before that night's job.

Overall, this book lacked substance and was nothing really outstanding but I enjoyed it regardless. A great time-filler that I would recommend to fans of fluffy contemporary with a dash of sci-fi.


3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment