Saturday 19 April 2014

Review: Shatter Me


Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

 
Title: Shatter Me
Series: Shatter Me, #1
Author: Tahereh Mafi
 
Published: HarperCollins; 2011
368 pages, kindle edition
 
Source: Gifted to me (from Sarah)
 
 Description (from Goodreads):

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans on her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.


My Thoughts:

1.5 stars

Wow, where to even start with this mess...?

This was just page after page of crap.
Shatter Me was the hardest book I have ever read. What do I mean by that? I mean that I walked away from it with my head threatening to explode from the overload of bloody purple prose, useless strikeouts, missing commas and the endless rambling that made no sense. Usually I am all for poetic writing and I can even deal with rather long-winded descriptions, if they are written well - in fact, that is one of my favourite things about the Inheritance Cycle. This however is a load of crap. How this managed to be published I cannot honestly understand. The way in which Tahereh Mafi writes is not poetic nor is it remotely "pretty". No, her writing is a bunch of nonsensical metaphors strung together in a random sequence with no logical thought to them. They made little to no sense.

Hate looks like everybody else until it smiles. Until it spins around and lies with lips and teeth carved into semblance of something too passive to punch.

His body presses closer and I realize I'm paying attention to nothing by the dandelions blowing wishes in my lungs.

I could maybe get over this fact if they had appeared every now again, but they don't. The entire book is written like this. Every. Single. Sentence. It was infuriating and I had to walk away at one point to pop a few Ibuprofens because my head was thumping for them effort to understand what the hell was actually happening.

Add all this to a case of impossibly stupid instalove with a romantic interest who is slightly stalkery; a female protagonist who does nothing but whine, whinge, whine some more about being a "monster" and ramble nonsensically about god know what; a really pathetic villain who is one hell of a creep; a pointless dystopian society were nothing is explained because it is all sidelined for the romance; and we are in for one hell of a boring and simply infuriating read.

There isn't much more I can say. I hated the characters with a passion, except Kenji, but then he had to go and be all flirty with Juliette. The romance was forced and completely stupid - they were running for their lives but had to stop to play tonsil hockey for a bit? Then they couldn't wait 'til his little brother had gone off the school!?

Everything about this book drove me insane and I couldn't wait to get it over and done with. I have to say that with all the praise about it from my fellow Goodreads friends I am disappointed to land in the minority again but there is no way I could ever like a book like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment