Sunday 22 June 2014

Review: Twilight

Twilight (Twilight #1) by Stephenie Meyer
 
Title: Twilight
Series: Twilight, #1
Author: Stephenie Meyer
 
Published: Atom; 2007
434 pages, paperback
 
Source: Bought; own physical copy
 
Rating: 2.5 stars
 
 Description (from Goodreads):

When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret. What Bella doesn't realize is that the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back ...


My Thoughts:

 Everyone will automatically see a review of Twilight and either keep scrolling past if they are one of the haters or stop to take to time to read this is they are a Twi-hard. We have all read, seen, heard and been simply bombarded with the hyper storm surrounding this series. The jokes, the furious rants against this - we've heard it all before haven't we? How could you have not really? The first time I read this - early last year perhaps? - I only picked this up for a dare. I had heard all about how crap this was and believed it all. I mocked the hell out of this even before giving it a chance. When I did have the guts to pick it up I was shocked that it really wasn't that bad.

What? Yeah, I know, I was shocked too. Seriously though, it has some really good parts and some really dud parts - like most of the books I have read. The instalove is a factor but isn't that more common than not in YA books now? It isn't really isn't that big a shock. Bella is a bit pathetic and Edward a bit creepy - the watching her sleeping thing was very creepy! - but I say again, is that not common now a days anyway - a creepy love interest? I'm not saying its a good thing but it isn't a big of a drama as everyone is made it out to be.

The vampire lore is actually very well done in my opinion. I enjoyed it. I don't see why everyone gets all upset about the fact that Meyer's vampires aren't able to go into direct sunlight without their skin sparkling. Isn't that an original idea? I don't see how that is such a terrible thing. I thought it was a great spin to the boring classical vampire lore she couldn't have used instead.

There was a lot that I could criticise. The characters themselves are rather annoying, I cannot stand Bella nor Edward personally and their instalove is awfully overdramatic but I won't deny that I don't mind this book. The plotline kept me engaged and the other characters aren't so bad.

Want some advice? Read this book before forming an opinion. If you read it and still hate it, then at least you have reasons for hating it and can use evidence in your arguments. If you liked it? Well, you have a new series to get into! No problems there. Give it a go regardless. There isn't any fun in making false assumptions, don't make the same mistake I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment