Saturday 27 December 2014

2015 TBR Jar Challenge | Introduction

The 2015 TBR Jar Challenge
 
Back in November, I came to the conclusion that I needed to make myself a TBR jar. I had begun to notice them on a lot of my favourite Youtubers' videos and couldn't believe that such an easy solution to an impossible situation was already in practise, and that I hadn't thought to do it for myself. You see, I am incredibly poor decision maker. I cannot make snappy decisions to save myself. I am a thinker and dweller, not a doer.
 
Therefore I decided to create a TBR jar for myself and I did. I wrote down the titles of all the unread books I have on my shelves (over 200 - my hands are so sore!) and put them into this old owl mug of mine. Now whenever I need to read a book all I have to do is dip my hand in the jar and it will choose for me.
 
Its brilliant!
 
The more I thought about it though, the more I become overwhelmed by the enormous amount of unread books on my shelves. I needed to get them read but I lacked the enthusiasm.
 
Now, its December and I am doing my post-Christmas room tidy and clean-out of my room. I discovered my boxes with the books my Pa gives me under my bed and realised this means that I have a lot more books to read. But there's an extra kicker. I don't want to read the books under my bed. Let me quickly explain...
 
 My Pa works at an auction house and he gets to keep all the books that don't sell at these auctions. That sounds pretty good right? Well, it isn't. The book he gets aren't our sort of book, they're the moth-eaten variety that were published ten years ago and no-one ever bothered to read them, or children's books that I have no interest in reading anymore. I don't want to just dump the boxes though. Pa knows I like reading and is kind enough to pass along a couple of books a week because he believes they will be read. I have to read them before I give them away. I must. I don't want to be rude and he always asks how I enjoyed them...
 
Its a real dilemma... but now I have a solution!
 
I am going to use my TBR jar (once I get all the "pa" books - ugh!) and pick out one "good" book - one of the books that I bought for myself and is sitting on my shelf - and one "Pa" book to read every month. If I have extra time, I will pick again from the jar, of course, but I am tying myself to at least one book a month.
 
I am going to start this challenge next January and continue for as long as I have books on my shelves that need to be read.
 
What about you guys?
 
Your 2015 TBR Jar Challenge
 
That's right, I want to extend this challenge out to everyone. Obviously you don't have the exact problem I do but I am sure you have a lot of unread books you need to read. Why not challenge yourself to get some of them read next year?
 
First you need to create a TBR jar.
 
This doesn't have to anything fancy. Grab a jar, write down at least twelve books you want to read this year on little slips of paper, fold them up, and put them in the jar. Done!
 
These titles should be of books published prior to the 1st of January, 2015 and purchased by you prior to the 31st of December, 2014. You'll need at least twelve books if you want to read one book a month. Please have more if you want to! The idea of this challenge is to read as many books on your shelf as possible so the more the merrier, really.

Comment your name and your blog link below (or a link to a Goodreads profile or something similar if you don't have a blog) so I can keep track of who is doing the challenge. If you complete the entire year and document it in someway (review each book etc.) I might be able to do some prizes at the end of the year. I haven't worked out all the details yet.
 
If you need to know anything else about this challenge, please feel free to comment below. I hope I can get a few people doing this as it really is a fantastic idea - if I do say so myself.
 
I will be letting you guys know what two books were picked out for the following month in my monthly wrap-up posts - so stay tuned for what I'll be reading in January!
 
I will also keep you updating with how I am going throughout the year. I want to count how many books I have so I'll know how many I have left to read as I am going.

6 comments:

  1. Yup, I have to join this :) This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! I am very excited about it. I hope it all works out. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of the TBR jar and how you are going to make this work for you with your dilemma now solved. I would love join in but I would find it impossible. have 1300 books on my TBR and it is crazy >< I am trying to pick off the oldest of my TBR from my shelfari shelf though. I hope this goes well for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia-Savannah! I wish you could join but that is a lot of books to list down. :) Best of luck to you and happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. He sounds so kind that he gives you books, and then asks if you enjoyed them, honestly this is the cutest thing I've read for a long time now. While I',m not in the same situation as you I can still understand how you fell, well sort of. Whenever someone buys me a book I'm so anxious because I'm afraid I won't enjoy it and they'll be disappointed because I disliked the book they've given me. I know this is stupid but I can't help it.

    I wish you tons of luck with keeping up with your TBR jar because I made one with over a 100 books and didn't read one from it haha. I did the hard way and color-coded them by genres because I'm quite a mood reader but still for some reason I didn't want to read any of the books I picked.

    Great post!
    Veronika @ http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww! Thanks for that Veronika. My Pa does have his moments. :) Wow, that's exactly how I feel about getting books as gifts. You don't want to dislike it because it seems a little offence but you just cannot not read it because it was a gift and that would be rude. Ugh!

      Aha! I hope it does work a little better than that. I have actually or already picked out my next month's books so I'm super excited. I think it will be a good motivator. That was a good idea - colour coding them - and I am sorry it didn't work out for you. I am a mood reader too so I am a little anxious to see how it will work out but I will give myself the whole month to read it so I can pick it up anytime then.

      Thank you and I love you blog's format. :)

      Delete